Monday, July 23, 2007

Flash Storm

It came unexpectedly and so quickly. For several days now it's been sunny and hot. We've spent a lot of time indoors with the air conditioner on because the temperature outside has been like this:

Today was another day like so many previous ones, except that today, mid-afternoon clouds began to roll in. Were we going to get the rain we'd been praying for? Rain wasn't in the forecast, but that doesn't mean anything when God is in the picture.Suddenly, an enormous dust cloud blew through town. Behind that, the rain came. Rain poured and the wind picked up furiously. The wind increased, and increased, blowing branches off of trees...little branches, then bigger branches. I watched from our back window as a couple of large branches came down over our sheds.

This one I could see from the window.

The storm lasted about 20 minutes, dropping a lot of rain and bringing the outside temperature down to about 20 degrees. I've never seen the temperature drop so much in such a short time! When the storm ended, I went outside to check out the branch that had fallen on the other side of the sheds.



Often, Nick parks his Jeep in this spot. Fortunately, it wasn't parked there this afternoon.

Nick came home a few minutes later, describing some of the mess he'd seen around town and asking me if I wanted to go for a ride to see what the storm had done. We went to the park just across the river from us, where we discovered three trees had been uprooted. Two of them were great big pine trees about 100 feet tall. I didn't have my camera with me, so we had a quick look, then came home for the camera. By the time we got back to the park a few minutes later, city work crews had already cleaned up one of the trees. But I got pictures of the bigger ones.



I've never seen anything like this before. We get wind here, but I've never seen it like this. As far as I know, no people were injured, thank God.

The storm blew through here about 4 hours ago. Now the sky has cleared, it's sunny again and it's warmed back up to 30 degrees. What a day!

No comments: